Yesterday I made some more progress on my journal. I attached the background pieces with zig zag stitching and then ironed on the floral motifs and the strip of circles.
I pulled out the perle cotton threads and some beads and just started to play. Here is what I have done so far.
The piece still felt a bit bare in the center. I looked through my images and didn’t see anything that caught my eye, so I decided to focus on letters and words. I came up with the idea of creating action words that would keep me motivated and inspired. (When this is completed, it will sit on my desk at work)
I ironed a piece of white muslin onto freezer paper and cut it to fit into my printer. I then created a list of words in different fonts and printed those onto the muslin. I cut the words out with pinking shears and sewed them onto wool felt and embellished it with small glass beads and french knots. The word is not attached to the piece yet, but just placed so that you can see what I am thinking. I will attach the words with small snaps that will allow me to change out the words on each panel.
Below is a close up of some of the bead work that I did. To give some depth to the piece, I strung gold bugle beads and topped it with a black bead. I used silimide thread which gives the bugle beads flexibility when you touch them. In the circles I used a gold bead with a pink bead on top – I love those two colors together. I am going to let this panel sit for awhile as I am not sure if I will add anything more to it.
Here is the beginning of panel 2.
Stay tuned for more.